The University Of Ibadan and Ahmadu Bello University in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Health and Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development announces admission into the 2016 Field Epidemiology and Laboratory Training Program for the award of:
A. MPH IN FIELD EPIDEMIOLOGY PRACTICE
B. MPH IN VETERINARY EPIDEMIOLOGY PRACTICE
C. MPH IN LABORATORY EPIDEMIOLOGY PRACTICE
The objectives are to strengthen the capacity to respond to public health emergencies such as outbreaks, epidemics, natural disasters, and emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases, Strengthen public health and veterinary surveillance systems, Strengthen laboratory capacity and participation in surveillance and field investigation, Strengthen the linkage between public health and veterinary epidemiology, Conduct research activities on priority public health problems and Improve communications and networking within the country and throughout the region on public health issues.
The NFELTP will focus on training persons who are or will become field epidemiology leaders at Federal, State and Local Government levels.
Field Epidemiology/Public Health Candidates should have at least:
• MBBS/M.B.Ch.B, BDS degrees with certification from the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN)
• Two years working experience in a related government position (with evidence of confirmation)
• Recommendation from the Head of Department/ Ministry
• Candidates working with epidemiology and disease control programmes/units at the LGA, State and Federal level program will have
• Credits in at least five O level subjects (including English& Mathematics)
Those interested in the public health laboratory epidemiology and management course should have at least a
• BSc degree (with a minimum of second class upper division) in microbiology or relevant subjects.
• Registration and Licensing from relevant National council is an added advantage
• Have a minimum of two years’ experience in a government laboratory (with evidence of confirmation).
• Candidates working with disease control units at the LGA, State and Federal level programme will have an added advantage
• Recommendation from the Head of Department/Ministry
• Credits in at least five O level subjects, including English and Mathematics
Candidates interested in the MPH Veterinary Epidemiology Practice Course should have at least a
• DVM degree with certification from Veterinary Council of Nigeria
• Two years working experience within the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development or other relevant State Ministries/ Parastatal (with evidence confirmation)
• Recommendation from the serving Ministry/Department / Parastatal
• Candidates working with disease control units at the LGA, State and Federal level program will have an added advantage.
• Credits in at least five O level subjects (including English& Mathematics
For the University of Ibadan, All candidates must satisfy the matriculation requirements (including required credits in English 'O' level exams) as well as the other requirements of the postgraduate school.
Candidates may check the University website for further details.
Also,Individuals accepted to the NFELTP will be required to sign a contract committing them to remain in government service for a minimum of five years following graduation.
The application procedures and form will be available on the website of the Postgraduate School, University of Ibadan (http://www.pgschool.ui.edu.ng) at a fee of N18, 000.00. In addition, a fee of N2, 500.00 will be charged for English Proficiency test. Application procedure will open as from Monday 10th October 2016. The deadline for submission of applications is Friday 11th November 2016.
The completed form along with photocopies of relevant credentials, academic transcript and formal statement of at least 250 words explaining the applicant's educational and career objectives and how those objectives correspond with the NFELTP, and authorization/recommendation from the applicant employers should be submitted to the Secretary of the Postgraduate School, University of Ibadan.
The PG School requires that all candidates for Masters and Diploma programs TAKE and PASS the English Proficiency test organized by the PG School to be considered for admission.
Direct questions to the
Ag Head & NFELTP Focal Person: Dr Bidemi Yusuf
Prof Olufunmilayo Fawole
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an enrollment interview in November 2016 for final selection by the National Selection Committee consisting of University of Ibadan, Ahmadu Bello University, FMOH, FMARD, CDC and African Field Epidemiology Network.
For Ahmadu Bello University,Applicants are expected to get a form at a fee of N10, 000.00 (and a bank charge of N500.00). The form will be available online as from the Monday 10th October 2016.The deadline for submission of application is Friday 11th November 2016. Access form on https://forms.abu.edu.ng/pgform/ and complete and submit.
All applicants are advised to read and follow the General Guidelines on the Application Process that has been provided on the portal. These guidelines provide important information about form completion and designated banks where payments can be made.
After submission, a confirmation message will be sent to the applicant’s email address and telephone.
Direct questions may be addressed to the University focal person
Prof. Kabir Sabitu(ABU)
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an enrollment examination and will be interviewed by the FELTP National Selection Committee for final recommendation. During the interview, each candidate will be expected to appear with original copies of his/her relevant credentials. In addition, each candidate will be expected to submit his/her academic transcript, formal statement of at least 250 words explaining the candidates educational and career objectives and how these objectives correspond with the NFELTP, authorization/recommendation from the applicant’s employer, and photocopies of relevant credentials. The National Selection Committee will consist of representative from the following organizations: Federal Ministry of Health, Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Ahmadu Bello University, University of Ibadan, African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) and CDC. The National Selection Committee will ensure and assure balance and equity in recruitment and selection procedures.
COMMENCEMENT OF COURSE: JANUARY 2017