WEST AFRICAN HEALTH ORGANISATION (WAHO)
CALL FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
(Individual Consulting Service)
Reference No FM/TEND/AMI/2019/06/bk
The Regional Disease Surveillance Systems Enhancement (REDISSE) Project in West Africa.
JOB TITLE: PROJECT COORDINATOR
The West African Health Organisation (WAHO) is the health institution of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), with a mandate to ensure the attainment of the highest possible standard and protection of health for the people in the ECOWAS region. Communicable and non-communicable diseases are the leading causes of morbidity and mortality in the region. Disease control and the prevention of epidemics are, therefore, among the priorities of the 15 countries in the ECOWAS region and a central tenet of WAHO activities.
The World Bank has provided grants to ECOWAS for WAHO to implement the Regional Disease Surveillance Systems Enhancement Project (REDISSE), covering the 15 ECOWAS countries as well as Mauritania.
It is within this framework that WAHO seeks to recruit a qualified and experienced project Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The incumbent will ensure the implementation and coordination of the REDISSE Project. He/she will report to the General Coordinator of the Project Management Unit (PMU).
Among his/her duties, he or she will have the following responsibilities:
• Ensure the management of the project in accordance with all the agreements with the donor and the Projects Implementation Manual;
• Prepare and monitor the implementation of the annual Work Plan and budget of the project;
• Prepare project organization and communication chart;
• Ensure compliance with donor procurement requirements and budget policy;
• Assist in the drafting and issuance of proposals, tenders and bidding processes;
• Follow up on donor’s non objection and other validation processes to ease budget execution;
• Review reports from Consultants before final submission for approval;
• Issue contracts, letters of Intent, Purchase orders in compliance with donor’s policy guidelines;
• Define roles and responsibilities of implementing partners;
• Ensure quality and timeliness of project work;
• Prepare timely and high quality reports in accordance with the reporting framework of the project for submission to the Projects Management Unit General Coordinator;
• Organize meetings in line with the annual Work Plan of the project and ensure that minutes, decisions and recommendations are recorded, distributed and necessary follow-up actions taken;
• Ensure effective liaison and maintain good communication with the donor, implementing partners and other stakeholders, in accordance with WAHO rules and regulations;
• Work in close collaboration with Directors, professionals involved in the implementation of the project as well as other Coordinators whose projects are in synergy with the REDISSE project;
• Work in liaison and close collaboration with WAHO Professionals working in Epidemics, and in particular with the ECOWAS Regional Center for Surveillance and Disease Control;
• Document lessons learned, develop presentations, articles, etc., for dissemination or publication in accordance with WAHO rules and regulations;
• Develop terms of reference and memoranda of activities;
• Organize field supervision and monitoring missions;
• Prepare the Technical Committees and Project Regional Steering Committee meetings;
• Monitor the implementation of the recommendations of all meetings ;
• Prepare the project’s audit in collaboration with the Financial Management Specialist;
• Enhance visibility of the project using ECOWAS and WAHO Communication Strategy;
• Provide relevant information and briefing materials to consultants, implementing partners, donors and others, in accordance with WAHO rules and regulations; and
• Undertake other reasonable duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Required Qualifications, Experience and Skills
• Master’s Degree in Public Health, Epidemiology or related fields;
• Project management certification will be an advantage;
• At least 10 years professional experience with 5 years or more acquired at the international level;
• Previous work experience in developing or transition economies, capacity building experience and World Bank project management experience will be advantageous;
• Successful track record in managing complex health projects at the international level with a strong focus on results;
• Team player with excellent team building and leadership skills;
• Strong computer skills (key MS office application, including project management tools) and ability to use information technology as tool and resource;
• Highly organized and self-directed with a positive attitude;
• Demonstrated experience working in a multicultural environment and with senior level professionals, variety of partners and diverse stakeholder groups; and
• Proficiency in spoken and written English is essential. A good working knowledge of French and/or Portuguese would be an added advantage.
Duration, Duty Station and Nature of Appointment
This is a World Bank- funded Consulting position under WAHO’s PMU. The REDISSE Project Coordinator will be appointed for a period of one (1) year subject to three (3) months’ probation. The contract may be renewed based on satisfactory performance and availability of funds. The incumbent will enjoy attractive consolidated remuneration.
The REDISSE Project Coordinator will be based at WAHO Headquarters in Bobo- Dioulasso, BURKINA FASO. He or She will travel across the ECOWAS region as required.
Applicants interested in this notice should provide information that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the services (Cover letter indicating the position applied for, detailed Curriculum Vitae - including description of past similar assignments, and experience - and copies of supporting documents).
The consultant will be selected in accordance with the procedures for the selection of individual consultants as set out in the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants by the World Bank Borrowers (ed. January 2011, revised in July 2014) available on the World Bank web site http://www.worldbank.org
Information, Deadline and Address for Submission of Applications
Interested individuals candidates may access the TORs on WAHO website at: w3.wahooas.org
Interested and qualified individuals Consultants should express their interest by submitting their applications (in person, by post or email) to the address below:
Prof. Stanley OKOLO
West African Health Organisation
01 BP 153 Bobo-Dioulasso 01
The top right corner of the envelope or the subject of the email must indicate the position applied for. The deadline for receipt of applications is 30th April 2019 at 12:00 hours GMT.
WAHO or the World Bank shall not be responsible for any costs or expenses incurred by the individual Consultant in connection with the preparation or submission of the EOI.
Prof. Stanley OKOLO